Wednesday, September 2, 2009

backroads of benzie






Baby #4 and I went blueberry picking today. The family had already made our haul for the winter by picking and freezing about 20 pounds a couple weeks ago but it was just the two of us today and it sounded like fun. The berries had been so lush and plentiful when we were last there that I was sure we would have more than our fill in no time flat.

All morning I thought about what pictures I would like to take, designing a scrapbook layout in my head and trying to imagine how the story would play out. Well as usual, my life never quite goes like the fairy tale I conjure up in my mind. Apparently blueberries must come on in cycles because just as I thought, there were tons of berries, but since when did they start coming in pink? And hey, where's my camera? Well, we began picking slightly 'blue' berries and I convinced myself it was okay that I forgot the camera and I settled into the quietness of the moment. Then much to my delight, soft melodic chimes in the distance filter down on the breeze, my fairy tale life does exist, not... Baby #4's delightful ring tone abruptly brings me back to reality. His friend, calling to finalize plans about attending the JV football game, a little early. We drop 5 bucks in the little metal box and head home.

HOME, down County Road 685, past Tucker and Levi's Fresh Veggies, past the roadside peach and plum stand made famous by the 50's something cop car parked behind it. Past orchard after orchard full of shiny red apples, and cornfield after cornfield with their golden tassels waving proudly in the gleaming sun... sigh... no camera.

All is not lost though for I am the devoted, never say no 'wonder woman'! (whose camera sits on the counter at home). I have just enough time to drop off baby #4, grab my camera, race back to get all those wonderful shots (some of those wonderful shots) and still have time to pick up baby #1 from work. Now that's what I call living the simple life... yeah right.

I consider myself fortunate to live in a place where you can still purchase your veggies from kids on the side of the road, pick your own blueberries and pay for them on the honor system. Where there is one traffic light in the middle of town and family fun Friday is the high school football game. I live in a place where people drive for hours to get here for their vacations, where you are never more than a few minutes from a body of water and there is more grass and sandy beaches than pavement. There may not be bright lights or big city excitement but the back roads of Benzie are paved with adventure. Now that's what I call living a truly rich life!








No comments:

Post a Comment