Wednesday, September 9, 2009

OMG!!! You did WHAT?

So, baby boy #2 had a spaz that I let you all see our dirty sink and rug... go figure, I can't even find the beautiful hardwood floor in his bedroom! But, I promised him I would let you also see just how lovely our old farm sink really is. I do love this sink! It sure can take a beating and come out looking, and smelling great.
I remember the day I bought it at a yard sale. It came with one of those old metal cabinets underneath it. I tried my best not to take that nasty thing, it was all rusty. $30.00 for the sink and cabinet, $50.00 if I just wanted the sink. Sure, they were no dummies were they? So, I became the proud owner of a new "old" sink and a rusty cabinet.
That sink sat behind our barn for about 10 years before we had the opportunity to work it into our kitchen and I was so proud of my $30.00 purchase. One of the little tidbits not mentioned in the 'owners manual' or thought of by my ever processing mind, finding a faucet to fit it that didn't break the bank! OUCH! It cost us over $200.00 for a faucet and if I recall we had about 3 to choose from.
Sometimes as I'm working at the sink, I wonder about the original owner and I try to picture how it looked the first time she used it. Flawless and pristine white. I wonder if she was as excited by it as I still get, did she realize the working value of it or was it just the norm for the time? I picture all the big holiday meals cooked in her kitchen, all the canning she must have done... then I think, yeah, it was probably some crotchety old man that never even got married. No little baby bottoms getting washed in here!
By the time the sink had made its' way into our kitchen, my babies were beyond the size of getting their bath in the sink, but I'll just bet there really was many a sweet baby bottom that got clean in here. Thank God you can bleach a porcelain sink!

No comments:

Post a Comment