Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Corny Obsession




I seem to be obsessed with corn these last couple weeks... I think it must have something to do with watching baby boy #2's corn field grow. He and his papa planted it this spring, sowed the seeds by hand I might add, along with turnips and some other yummy thing the dear love. We now get the wonderful privilege of watching a dozen dear dining daily! Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book doesn't it? And I love corn on the cob as much as the dear except I like mine boiled with sugar and lemon juice then loaded down with an extremely unhealthy amount of butter, salt and pepper, YUM! Baby #2 and I race to see who can eat one the fastest. I never win!

I love looking at the corn blowing in the wind, planted in nice, neat and tidy rows. That's me, liking things neat and tidy with everything in order, in my dreams... But if you look at the plant closely, there are so many colors on it. The green leaves, the golden tassels, the yellow and white corn and my favorite, the purple/pink silk. Then in the fall it all turns brown and is set to be useful for another season. God is sure creative isn't he?

To help satisfy my obsession, we took a trip to Jacob's Corn Maze out on M-72. This year the mazes were done in the image of a landing eagle and a flying eagle. We did them both and had a corny good time. My babies are all funny in their own way and I get a kick out of listening to them interact and try to get one up on each other. Most of it doesn't write out well, it's a "You just had to be there" sort of thing, to hear the timing and the tone but baby girl #3 said just out of the blue, "I don't understand about fishing, it's so boring" to which I responded, "Not if you're catching something." Baby boy #2 in his best sarcastic, girly voice says, "I just don't understand shopping, it's so boring." to which baby girl #3 promptly replied, "Not if you're catching something." Not funny written out, I know. But we laughed hysterically. Could be we were already in a 'corny' mood due to the purple silk arm pit hair, mustaches, uni brows and ear hair we were all wearing. You see, in my personal opinion corn mazes are not all that fun in and of themselves. Mostly it's hot and sweaty in there, you're getting eaten by bugs and you're thirsty and lost. There is a fine line between how much water is too much water because then there is that 'other' problem. And, if you are too uptight, you will spend all your time arguing over which way to go. My advice, relax, put on your corn silk uni brow and feed your corny obsession!

2 comments:

  1. I just love reading everything you write Chris! It's refreshing and it makes me smile..or laugh...or cry! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and sometimes laugh and cry... Thanks for the encouragement and for always reading. You are 1 of 2.

    ReplyDelete