Friday, September 4, 2009

Laundry Line


We have been fortunate enough to have lived on both ends of the financial spectrum. There was a time in our lives when we were not only too poor to afford a dryer, we were too poor to pay for the dryer at the laundromat. I can remember winter days when the house was full of little baby socks and little baby undershirts hanging from every spot imaginable. You learn pretty quickly what to hang where because it only takes one of your husband's work buddies stopping over and being greated by your bras and panties to figure it out!

I remember when we finally got our 1st 'used' dryer and my mother said to me, "You might as well take down your clothes line now, you will never use it again." I gasped in horror and swore that I would. Two years later, down it came never having been touched once.

There has also been a time in our lives when we've had more money than brains and I can honestly say I am more ashamed of the latter. There is nothing shameful in poverty but plenty to be ashamed of in wastefulness. It is funny the things you think you have to have and the things you never knew you needed until you see them. It is even more tragic that all those 'things' end up owning you instead of the other way around. Suddenly you find yourself working all the time to pay for them and spending all your spare time maintaining them. Why is it that the owners manuals never put that little tidbit in their disclaimer?

Over the years our life has changed a great deal and we are learning to 'declutter' but it can be a slow process. I now have a new clothes line and a dryer that has never been owned by anyone but me. I am greatful that I don't have to hang my clothes in the living room anymore (even though baby #2 still prefers to dry his clothes on the floor) and even more grateful that I have the time to hang them on the line.

3 comments:

  1. That was beautiful Chris. I love reading these every night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Friend! I saw your blog addy on FB! Love your blog. I've never been one to put anything in words very good! I could just see the backroads of MI! Keep it up!

    Clarinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Clarinda,

    Good to hear from you, hope all is well. Thank you for your kind words. Have you been scrapping much? I'm never on DIY anymore. The scrapbook store where I work is closing, it's sad. Many good friendships made over the last 4 years.

    ReplyDelete