Wednesday, October 28, 2015

31 Moments in Time :: life is short, dress happy






"Life is short, dress happy", is more than a motto I have taken on, it's a lifestyle I have tried to live out over the last few years. As a Christian, life is full of joy but don't confuse joy with happiness, even the average dictionary does that. They are not the same. I like Rick Warren's description of joy. He says, "Joy is the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be alright, and the determined choice to praise God in every situation." Joy is not based on our day to day happiness as the dictionary and society might like us to believe. Joy is a peace on the inside regardless of what is happening on the outside.





This world can be an unhappy place a lot of the time. Satan works hard at us to steal our joy by dumping troubles on us, by bombarding us with unhappy things in hopes of robbing us of our joy, in hopes that we will forget just who is in control and that everything will be alright. We must fight against that.

You might think that what you choose to wear has no bearing on life but it does. Put on a tutu and you will find out just how much it does. People often ask me why I wear them. My response is always, "Look at the smile on your face, that's why I wear them." I can't help but smile too when I wear them. Now before you get too worked up, they are not some bright pink fru-fru tutu that you would see on an adorable 3rd grader, they are more subdued than that, I am over 50 after all!

I am by no means a fashion blogger, nor do I desire to be, or even a fashionista - what is a fashionista anyway? But...

The way I see it, there is enough garbage in the world to bring us down, we should not add to it by wearing things that make us feel even worse, or at least less than happy. We should wear what makes us smile and if we are fortunate, we will make others smile in the process.


The choice I made to dress happy has been attitude changing for me 
and I have not regretted it one bit.


Changing my wardrobe from ordinary pants and tops to clothing 
that makes me feel alive has been a process that has given me 
the courage to be more fully me.


Clothing is empowering. Did you know that? They don't call them power suits for nothing. So be brave, step out there and figure out what makes you feel good. Don't wait to lose that 20 pounds you've been meaning to lose, buy what fits and flatters you now. Experiment, make mistakes and learn from them, shop in places you don't normally shop and at some point you will find that you are excited about getting dressed because your closet is full of clothes that inspire you and make you feel like you. And that my fiends, is what makes your beauty 

SHINE!


Garbage in this life is not optional, what you choose to wear is. I agree that...


There are so many things that we can not change and have no control over. When I see people going around in their pajamas or sweats, which seems to have become the norm, at least in the area I live, I can't help but wonder if they have just given up on life. I'm not advocating that everyone wear a tutu, but I am advocating that you wear what makes you happy, not what makes you feel invisible. You are not invisible no matter what you wear. Be courageous and wear what makes you smile.

Life is short people, dress happy!

...and for those of you sitting there shaking your head thinking I'm ridiculous, what are you wearing???


Click on the link for a little 'happy' inspiration and take note of Pharell's wardrobe choices. It's a song that makes you smile.

This story was written as part of a 31 day writing challenge. To read more of my stories in the challenge click on my link. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment