Monday, October 5, 2015

31 Moments in Time :: off point on point








The dictionary describes being on point as to be perfect, to satisfy, up to par, ready to perform at your best, on top of things and in control of the situation. Rarely do I feel as if I am "on point".

It also describes a lighthouse as a tall structure topped by a powerful light used as a beacon or signal to aid marine navigation.  

Jesus said, "I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life."  The psalmist David asked God to "Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling.

I frequent Point Betsie a lot in the winter.  I try to go out weekly and photograph what I call my Friday Ice Check. As I look back at the pictures I can see the changes in the ice formations from week to week. The dark winter water of Lake Michigan violently hurls itself on shore and coats everything in a blanket of white ice that will not be thrown off until April. Weight upon weight added to the branches and shrubs that bend and strain to stay upright. 

The winds howl and bite at your eyes and your cheeks with a cold so bitter you can feel it to your bones.  I find that in the deep of winter those who venture out here are usually alone.  It is a place of solitude and mourning yet it is a place of exhilaration and life... so it is with darkness and light.

My Friday Ice Check is not the real reason I go to Point Betsie although it does make for some great photographs.  I go because I am off point and I find my Lighthouse there.  The only way I am on point is in Christ.  I am perfected in Him.  God is satisfied with me in Christ. The strength to perform at my best comes from Him and He is the one who has every situation under control.  I go because I am terrified of this place and all its' ice and crashing waves.  I go because I am afraid of all its' strangers... and its' solitude. I go because I am called. Every fear I face in life is represented in some form at this place and I find them to be 'on point'.  They are perfected here, ready to perform and in control of every situation in my life. I am weathered and worn by the icy waves that have crashed over me.  The dark, ominous clouds have kept me from seeing the light and I stand, frozen in place, my eyes fixed on all that has harmed me... on all that might harm me... 

Then I turn to face the light and April rushes in.  The waves of God's love crash over me and make me brave. 


I have to give a shout out to Amanda Cook, Kristene DiMarco and Bethel Music for their songs You Make Me Brave and It Is Well.  These two songs have had a huge impact on my life and realizing that in Christ, all is well, and I truly do have all the courage I need.   You can give them a listen on youtube, just click the link below.  












No comments:

Post a Comment